Tuesday, March 13, 2012

TAX BREAK FOR BUDDY

Each day on my way to work, I stop off at the WAWA just outside our housing development to get some coffee.

Every day, rain or shine, hot or cold, there stands "Buddy".
I'm not sure if that's his real name, but every time I walk into the store I say, "Hi Buddy!" and I toss him a quarter. He always looked clean and well groomed, but obviously unemployed and asking for money outside the store.

About April 10th, I was on my way to work, and was about to toss him another quarter, and he said, "Ah - thank you sir, but I've found a better method. If you just write me a check for 25 cents a day for the 280 work days you come in here, you can take it off on your taxes as a charitable contribution. All I need is a check for about $70, and you don't have to remember the quarter each day, and I don't have to stand here in the rain and wind and the cold or hot weather. Best of all, you get a deduction on your upcoming taxes."

Well, I went in the store, bought my coffee and donuts, and was standing at the counter writing out the check for $70. The clerk said, "Are you writing a check for Buddy outside?"

"Yes," I said, "it's a tax break for me and makes his life a lot easier."

"Oh, No!" She said, " He doesn't have a Tax ID, and is not a charitable institution. The IRS will not allow it. You will get audited."

"Oh my! " I said , and put my checkbook away.

On my way out of the store, there stood Buddy, and I really laid into him, explaining that he was deceiving people, and had better stop the tax break routine. I ended it with this admonition to him:

"Buddy, don't put all your begs into one ask-it!" 


No comments: