Sunday, December 7, 2008

Tax Advice

Each day on my way to work, I stop off at a 7-11 just outside our housing development. Every day, rain or shine, hot or cold, there stands "Buddy." I'm not sure if that's his real name, but every time I walk into the store I say, "Hi Buddy!" and I toss him a quarter. He always looked well groomed, but obviously unemployed and asking for money outside the store.

About April 10th, I was on my way to work, and was about to toss him another quarter, and he said, "Ah - thank you sir, but I've found a better method. If you just write me a check for 25 cents a day for the 280 work days you come in here, you can take it off on your taxes as a charitable contribution. All I need is a check for about $70, and you don't have to remember the quarter each day, and I don't have to stand here in the rain and cold or hot weather. And best of all, you get a deduction on your upcoming taxes."

Well, I went in the store, bought my coffee and donut, and was standing at the counter writing out the check for $70. The clerk said, "Are you writing a check for Buddy outside?"

"Yes," I said, "it's a tax break for me and makes it easier for him."

"Oh, No." She said, " He doesn't have a Tax ID, and is not a charitable institution. The IRS will not allow it, and more than likely you will get audited."

"Oh my! " I said and put my checkbook away.

On my way out of the store, there stood Buddy, and I really laid into him, explaining that he was deceiving people, and had better stop the tax break routine. I ended it with this admonition to him:

"Buddy, don't put all your begs into one ask-it!"

No comments: